Mayor Keith Hobbs says the city continues to see improvement after last month's flood.
Do you want to BREAK YOUR BANK?Banks put holds your cheques. They make you wait in line. Choose a better, quicker option. Visit XTRA CASH! Click here for full list of services
The city will have an independent investigation into what happened at its sewage treatment plant.
Mayor Keith Hobbs said while the investigation will look into what happened when the plant flooded last month, it needs to be independent in the interest of transparency.
“We don’t want any conspiracy theorists out there. If we’re to blame we’re going to tell you that we’re to blame. I don’t anticipate that. I really don’t,” Hobbs said.
The Atlantic Avenue sewage treatment plant’s main pumping station is functioning again but there are a number of damaged and non-operational parts in the plant that will take months to get back to normal.
The investigation will also look into a breach that flooded the 1964 part of the plant. It’s still not known where that breach is or what caused it.
While work at the plant ramps up, the city and volunteer agencies are winding down their relief efforts.
The Red Cross registration centre at St. Peter’s Catholic Church will close at noon on Friday while its Confederation College centre will shut down Saturday at 6 p.m. Red Cross spokesman Davis St. Georges said out of 359 cases the agency has worked on, which helps people with everything from cleaning supplies to food, they’ve now closed 316.
“We’re at a point now where the cases closed are exceeding the numbers of cases opened daily so that’s a really good spot to be in,” he said adding that it has been the largest Red Cross response in Ontario in a decade.
Out of 520 homes signed on for the city’s safe home clean-up program, there are only 73 remaining that need help.
Fire chief John Hay said it’s still premature to have a number for homes that may never be livable again due to damage.
“We’re just getting a look at a lot of homes that have never been looked at for a very long time,” he said.
Garbage collection in the city will return to a three-bag limit starting next week, although people still needing large items picked up can still call 98-FLOOD for help. Public meetings will take place June 23 at the Slovak Legion and Moose Hall.
“I’m hoping they’re a little more low-key than last time. I know the city has really stepped up to the plate. We don’t have all the answers obviously so I don’t think it’s time for finger pointing, that time may never occur,” Hobbs said.
Click here to submit a letter to the editor.